Urban Fantasy writer ISO writing partner

Q: Name or pen name
A: Renee

Q: Audience or category of your writing, if applicable:
A: YA to A

Q: Genre of your writing, if applicable:
A: Urban Fantasy

Q: What would you like your partner to do?
A: I would like someone who’s like minded, willing to listen for listening and to not rush to their project (much like people listen to respond and not just to listen). I like open communication and flow. It’s a lot like a committed friendship. I desire trust, patience, understanding, and willingness to bounce ideas, read some work, and be honest if the content doesn’t work. I desire someone who knows Fantasy, mostly involving Fae (though this is not mandatory, just a plus). At the very least, don’t mind reading or listening about it.
Age of my writing partner doesn’t matter too much, but I do request maturity when it comes to our projects and working together. 25+ is optimal, or someone with a lot of experience. I am looking for someone on the same level as me (whatever level that is. I think we’ll have to swap some writing to see), or someone close to it. I’ve worked with people who couldn’t offer anything to me and vise versa, which is just a waste of everyone’s time.

Q: What are you willing to do for your partner?
A: I’m willing to do all of the above as well. I even don’t mind editing work as I can. I love listening to a construct someone has and help build it, or fix plot holes (or catch plot holes), etc. I don’t expect my writing partner to read my manuscript in its entirety unless that’s what they want to do. Likewise, I’m not expecting to have to read my partners. That’s what Beta’s and Critique partners are for. I don’t have the time to sift through a full manuscript right off the bat, especially if it’s in a genre I’m not too familiar with or don’t like. I wouldn’t be too helpful and maybe even overly critical. Sitting and reading a manuscript comes with a lot of time of being writing partners.

Q: How quickly you would ideally like to work with your partner?
A: If we are a great team, I don’t mind continuing for as long as needed, or for as many projects as needed. Again, I feel like it’s much like a friendship, a very concentrated friendship, which is why I plan on being as thorough and honest as possible in this.

Q: Your location, if applicable:
A: Eastern USA

Q: Please describe yourself (Inserted this because I think it’s important)
A: I am in my early 30’s and have been writing since I was five. I’m a geek/nerd who plays a lot of video games and reads a lot of books, consumes a lot of coffee, the usual. If you like JRPG’s, our bond is in the right direction. I have a BA in literature with a concentration in Creative Writing, but for a couple of years, I stopped writing, so I feel rusty. I’m not sure if that’s accurate though. I’m very critical, which is good and bad. I assume I annoy my friends with how critical I can be. I’m also “blunt”, but never mean. I try to be constructive with anything I bring to light.

Q: Please describe your project in 500 words or less, or paste a sample here!
A: My WIP is an Urban Fantasy story set in modern day Nevada, though the journey takes them other places as well. The MC’s are not human, though they interact in the human world.
If you are interested, I have a sample upon request, then we can share some writing and go from there! Regardless, thanks for taking the time to read and good luck with your own searches.

Hi there Renee,

Sometimes I vent to my friends about my WIP or excitedly tell them about a plot idea I had, and then am inevitably disappointed that they are not as interested in it as I am! I think a writing partner would be ideal, someone who understands the highs and lows and can appreciate the little victories. I’d like to get in touch with you and see if we can motivate each other and give each other somewhere to talk about these things.

I’m 26, I live in Scotland at the moment doing my PhD, and I write YA fantasy. It’s my first attempt at completing a manuscript (unless you count the countless stories I wrote all the way through school) and I definitely go through phases of productivity where my writing is concerned. I love reading fantasy, it’s my go to genre and am always open to book suggestions to keep me up to date with what the market is like right now. I’m also German so I am also blunt, and am looking for blunt. Feedback that pulls punches is not as useful to me as someone who really tells me what they think. Always constructive though, I would hate for someone to read my feedback and feel discouraged.

Let me know if you think I sound like someone you could work with and we can go from there!
All the best,
Lovis

Lovis,

Wow congratulations on the road to PhD! That’s exciting. I definitely feel like we could boost each other up and throw ideas for each other. I was going to message you, but I’m unsure how this site works and if private messages are even a thing, so let me know the best way to contact you, I suppose?

This draft will be my first completed novel draft as well, despite the years I’ve put into it. This is part of why I desire someone with that fire who understands, because it’s been a long time coming to get this thing done! Ha ha.

Thanks for the interest! These things always make me nervous. Do let me know if you figure out a messaging system, or we can exchange emails, IM’s, whatever suits you. Until then, take care!
-Renee

Hi Renee,

You can reach me on lovisgeier@gmail.com! If you want to send a snippet of your writing, I can send you my first chapter if you’re interested.

I’m trying to get a calendar of competition dates and things like Twitter pitches together, just to give myself some kind of deadlines or goals to aim for. Otherwise I’ll keep drawing it out! Are you aiming for any of that kind of stuff at all?

Hope to talk to you soon!
Lovis

I’ll send an email shortly! (Had to type 20 characters to respond apparently lol)

Wow! Keep us posted on how this partnership potentially works out. I love the emphasis on partnership here—with being truly interested in one another’s ideas. This is key to the writing partnership, to us here. Good luck!

We’ve connected and I find it very helpful to have someone to contact if I just want to talk about writing , which non-writers often don’t understand or don’t find interesting. I’m very happy with how this is working out! It helps to have someone hold you accountable for your goals.

So sorry! I was on holiday and didn’t notice this. We’re doing great! Lovis has most certainly helped me and I hope I have done the same so far. We’re still in early stages of sharing things, but on the same page and path. We’re keeping on each others toes for work as well!

That is awesome, keep up the good work!