Mystery/Thriller

Good evening! My name is Hayden, and I’m seeking a critique partner for my ongoing Mystery/Thriller project called, “The Waste Land”. Ideally, I’m looking for someone I can learn and grow from, a professional relationship with a fellow writer that can grow and evolve, preferably over the development of multiple works. I’m looking for something long-term. If you decide to be my partner, we can decide mutually how often we’d like to check in and critique. I’m comfortable with consistent contact as much as once or even twice a week. I really struggle with finishing projects; this is my first serious full-length novel endeavor, and I really want a friend that’s going to motivate me to keep going, while also offering constructive criticism. I think it’d be really unique to work on projects simultaneously, and it gives it a little more meaning to know someone else is going through the struggles and successes of writing with you. I have little to no preferences with the genres of my partner’s work; I think good stories are universal, regardless of genre.

As far as my critiques go, I’m very detail-oriented, but I’m also about to examine the overall “big picture” of a work. I really appreciate good character and tension. I think the way a work makes me feel, rather than the logistics of plot, are more important. If a writer can do both and do them well, I’m sold. Expect comments on character development, pacing, and dialogue.

Here’s a summary of “Waste Land”:
A short forty-five minutes away from Ted Bundy’s childhood home, Leah Crane disappears on the opening night of her highly anticipated college play. But, as they say, the show must go on.

A day passes. Two. Five. Thirty.

The streets of Turner are dark now. Empty, even. Scared mothers refuse to let their children walk home alone at night, and college women begin looking over their shoulders more frequently than before.

Weeks after her disappearance, two young brothers take a dip in Turner Lake, and leave with a campfire story about a seeing a dead body floating downstream. Leah Crane’s body.

After ten years of silence, Virginia Crane receive a package in their mailbox with no return address. It’s a novel written under a pseudonym, a stranger named M.C. Larson, titled, “The Waste Land.”

Inside a note is attached that reads:

“To Mr. and Mrs. Crane,

I hope you’ll forgive me.”

Told from various perspectives, The Waste Land tells the story of a hopeless college dropout, the missing girl, two grieving parents, and the book that forces their stories together.

Hi Hayden,

I’d be interested in working with you. I’m currently writing a YA psychological thriller (I’ve posted an excerpt and brief description as a separate post if you want to see more about it). We seem to be interested in a lot of the same things when it comes to constructive criticism, as well as checking in every once in a while.

Would you be interested in swapping some pages to see if it would be a good fit?

Kelly

Hey, Kelly! I apologize for the late response: I’ve had a hectic week. I would absolutely be interested!

Sounds great! I will PM you my email address.