Magical Realism partner

I’m Judith Pratt. My current WIP is magical realism/fantasy. It combines magic, romance—both straight and gay–and an affection for Maine, its forests and its ocean. It’s about trying to fit into your family when you don’t resemble any of them.
I’m looking for a critique partner—so we can read each other’s novels and critique them. I like sending some questions to answer, just to get things started—if you like that. No problem if you don’t.
I’ve written two other novels, one self-published and one indie-published. (The Dry Country and Siljeea Magic, both on Amazon, if you’d like to see how I write!) I began as a playwright, and my scripts have been produced in small theatres around the country. I live in Upstate New York.

Hi there,
My WIP is a fantasy set in a fantasy world but I would love to find a crit partner and give/get some feedback. Would you be willing to exchange with a non-magical-realism writer?

Cheers,
Lovis Geier

Sounds good. Can you tell me more about yourself and your work?
Judith

Hi Judith,
Apologies for the delay in replying!

I am currently living in Scotland and working on my PhD in movement ecology, but have held on to my passion for writing since I was very young. I’ve always gravitated towards the fantasy genre, both in the books I read and the stories I write.

The WIP I have right now is the first in a series I have planned, and is written in first person but from three main characters’ POV, so that is one major challenge I am facing: to give each an individual and distinct voice. The story follows a girl, Kaz, who discovers she has magical abilities. The society she lives and was raised in fears magic but also finds it disgusting, thinking of it like an evil infectious disease. This loathing is so ingrained in her that she struggles to accept this new revelation, turning the hatred inwards. She needs to learn to control herself and her powers while keeping them hidden from the people who hunt her kind and want to destroy her.

The three main characters are Kaz, her uncle Gideon, and one of the men who hunts people with magic, giving three unique perspectives on the conflict between those with magic and those without, and the series of events that led to the establishment of their society.

Does this sound like something you would be interested in reading more about?

Lovis

Hi Lovis

Three POVs–mine has two and it isn’t easy! Also, one of my MCs doesn’t want to believe in her magical abilities, because it’s the twenty-first century and her family are all accountants and lawyers! Sounds like we have a match.

I had to look up movement ecology. Fascinating! I was trained in theatre, but my dad was an entomologist, so the science of living things is part of me. In fact, I wrote a play about plant geneticist Barbara McClintock, who won a Nobel for her discovery/analysis of transposon in genes. It’s called “Maize,” because that’s the plant she studied.

Okay, I’ve attached my draft of The Skill. Let’s trade!

Judith

p.s. I’ve been to Edinburgh, Glasgow, and along the coast from Glasgow. Where are you?

(Attachment The Skill-10-19.docx is missing)

Hi Judith,

Sorry but the attachment is missing it says…want to exchange emails instead?

Cheers,
Lovis

OH…we’re on the website!

Yes, let’s exchange emails.

judith@judithpratt.com

judith

Hi Judith,

I’ve sent you an email, let me know if you don’t receive it!

Cheers,
Lovis

Keep us posted! The takeaway here is that partnerships don’t have to be in the exact same category. Let us look into the attachment issue as well. Thanks for bringing it up.