This category is for writers seeking a beta reader, which is defined as a fellow writer or experienced reader willing to read an entire manuscript and provide overview feedback. This can be a short-term or long-term relationship, for one project or multiple.
DO NOTE THAT SOME WRITERS AND READERS OFFERING BETA READS MAY ELECT TO CHARGE FOR THEIR TIME. THIS IS AT THE BETA READER’S DISCRETION AND WE ENCOURAGE ANY FINANCIAL ARRANGEMENTS TO BE MADE AHEAD OF PROJECT SUBMISSION.
You are not obligated to engage in any financial relationship with a beta reader, and this relationship is not regulated by Crit Collective. Remember, Crit Collective is a place to meet your critique partner, but what you do when you leave the forum is up to you. For more information, please check out our about post and FAQ.
Writers—As a general rule of thumb, for a successful seeking beta reader post, please include:
- Name or pen name
- Audience or category of your writing (literary fiction, young adult, etc.)
- Genre of your writing (fantasy, historical, etc.), if applicable
- What you would like your partner to do (read a whole manuscript, read the first ten pages, exchange writing prompts, etc.)
- How quickly you would ideally like to work with your partner, and any time parameters you would like to put on the relationship
- Your location, if applicable
- Whether or not you are willing to pay for services
- A short description of your project (500 words is a good starting point) or excerpt of your writing.
If you aren’t finding your writing partner yet, check out a professional Quick Crit.